COVID-19: Education Groups
YHA school residentials and day stays are operating safely and responsibly in line with the relevant Government guidance.
Change or cancel your booking
If you want to move or cancel your booking, please use our group bookings form and one of our team will contact you directly.
We value your custom and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
What assurances can you give me that your COVID-19 procedures are suitable?
- We developed our Covid-19 secure measures to meet the stringent requirements of the Visit Britain “We’re Good to Go” industry standard and consumer mark, to demonstrate that we adhere to Government and public health guidance.
- Every hostel that we have reopened has undergone a rigorous risk assessment for Covid-19.
- All hostel staff have undergone Covid-19 safety training.
- We constantly review and enhance our Covid-19 practices in line with Government, public health and sector-specific guidance.
Will group leaders still be able to run familiarisation trips?
- Yes, however we may need more lead time to arrange this, so please arrange as early possible.
- We may ask you to allocate more time than usual for this if the hostel is under sole occupancy in the lead up to your visit, particularly if the group staying at the time of your familiarisation visit do not want interruptions from other visitors.
- We will honour a similar request from you in the same way when you are staying with us.
How many groups can we have staying at a hostel at any one time – are there any limits on this?
Will the hostel be the same as when I’ve stayed before?
How will communal spaces for multiple groups be provided safely?
Will you allocate additional beds or rooms for our stay to ensure that we can socially distance?
- Your risk assessment will determine your social distancing requirements in the rooms.
- In line with Government guidance, we have reviewed the capacity of our rooms for ventilation purposes; we can advise you on room capacity when you contact us about your booking.
- We will allocate you the rooms or beds that you tell us you require.
- If your needs change between booking and arrival, you will need to let us know as far in advance as you can to enable us to attempt to secure the space you need.
Will we be charged for extra beds that we are not using but need to have due to social distancing?
- We will seek to keep the cost as affordable as possible; however, if you request more space it may impact on the price you need to pay.
- Costs will vary dependant on the time of year and popularity of the site.
- Speak to our specialist advisors who will look to place you to meet your specific needs.
Will group leaders be able to share rooms?
This is a decision for you based on your risk assessment and your own social distancing needs. We will do our best to meet your needs.
How will activities be run to ensure social distancing?
- Our activities will operate in line with the latest Government guidelines to ensure that activities are delivered in a Covid-secure manner.
- All adventurous activities, with the exception of caving, are delivered using the same principles as low-level activities.
- For off-site activities we select the venues that are less likely to be crowded.
How will groups be catered for?
- This will depend on whether you are in a sole-use hostel or if you are sharing a hostel with other guests; due to the uniqueness of each hostel we will have to assess your specific needs.
- If you are in a hostel with another group, each group will be given an allocated start and finish time for meals; your group will have sufficient time to enjoy their meal but we will ask you to be prompt so that we are able to clean properly between every group.
My group booking includes meals, are you continuing to offer these?
Yes – we are introducing an exciting new menu from March 2022. Please contact us nearer your stay for a full list of menu options.
If a child tests positive for Covid-19 before a stay, will they be entitled to a refund?
If you booked before the 15th March 2022, and UK or Wales government restrictions prevent someone with Covid-19 from travelling and staying at one of our hostels, our Covid Flexibility Guarantee would allow the individual affected to rearrange their stay or apply for a refund. Evidence of a positive test may be requested for the individual.
Otherwise, our normal booking terms and conditions apply. We recommend that travel insurance is taken out to protect against unforeseen events which may prevent you or members of your group from travelling.
What happens if a child becomes ill during their stay?
We will work with you and your school to meet your needs, it may be that it’s best for the child to depart but we will work with you to resolve this to the best of our ability.
Are we able to have sole occupancy at a hostel?
- We do offer sole-use of many of our hostels, particularly our smaller hostels that are more affordable on sole-use.
- The cost will depend on the size of the hostel and the number of people it can accommodate – the larger the property the higher the price will be.