COVID-19: Education Groups FAQs
What assurances can you give me that your Covid -19 Procedures are suitable
- We developed our Covid-19 secure measures to meet the stringent requirements of the Visit Britain “We’re Good to Go” industry standard and consumer mark, to demonstrate that we adhere to Government and public health guidance
- Our Covid-19 secure measures have been externally audited by our independent auditors
- Every hostel that we have reopened has undergone a rigorous risk assessment for Covid-19
- All hostel staff have undergone Covid-19 safety training
- We constantly review and enhance our Covid-19 practices in line with Government, public health and sector-specific guidance
Will group leaders still be able to run familiarisation trips?
- Yes, however we may need more lead time to arrange this, so please arrange as early possible
- We may ask you to allocate more time than usual for this if the hostel is under sole occupancy in the lead up to your visit, particularly if the group staying at the time of your familiarisation visit do not want interruptions from other visitors.
- We will honour a similar request from you in the same way when you are staying with us.
How many groups can we have staying at a hostel at any one time – are there any limits on this?
- Our sites are unique and therefore we can’t offer a universal answer to this
- If you contact us we can talk you through your requirements and how best we can facilitate them
Will the hostel be the same as when I’ve stayed before?
- We have set up our hostels to be Covid-19 secure, which has necessitated changes to the way we operate them to ensure they operate safely for all hostel users
- This means some of the rooms, spaces and facilities you have had access to previously may not be available or may have a different look to them. If you have any concerns the best thing to do is to contact us and ask.
How will communal spaces for multiple groups be provided safely?
- Where we can, each group will be allocated its own private space for their sole use, and if possible this will be reserved for your group throughout your stay
- Where we have other groups in the hostel we will use allocated timings to occupy spaces such as dining rooms; we will need you to be prompt and manage your group’s time in these spaces as cleaning between groups will become an essential risk control
- Please discuss your requirements with us when you make your booking
Will you allocate additional beds or rooms for our stay to ensure that we can socially distance?
- Your risk assessment will determine your social distancing requirements in the rooms
- We will allocate you the rooms or beds that you tell us you require
- If your needs change between booking and arrival, you will need to let us know as far in advance as you can to enable us to attempt to secure the space you need
Will we be charged for extra beds that we are not using but need to have due to social distancing?
- We will seek to keep the cost as affordable as possible; however, if you request more space it may impact on the price you need to pay
- Costs will vary dependant on the time of year and popularity of the site
- Speak to our specialist advisors who will look to place you to meet your specific needs
Will group leaders be able to share rooms?
- This is a decision for you based on your risk assessment and your own social distancing needs. We will do our best to meet your needs
How will activities be run to ensure social distancing?
- We are currently running low-level activities at some of our hostels, where social distancing can be maintained
- We are reviewing our adventure activities programme to determine how we will be able to deliver these safely.
How will groups be catered for?
- This will depend on whether you are in a sole-use hostel or if you are sharing a hostel with other guests; due to the uniqueness of each hostel we will have to assess your specific needs.
- If you are in a hostel with another group, each group will be given an allocated start and finish time for meals; your group will have sufficient time to enjoy their meal but we will ask you to be prompt so that we are able to clean properly between every group.
My group booking includes meals, are you continuing to offer these?
- Yes – there are some minor changes due to Covid-19, however we continue to offer a full meals service
- Please contact us nearer your stay for a full list of menu options
What happens if a child tests positive for Covid-19 before a stay, will they be entitled to a refund?
- Yes, we would ask that you don’t bring anyone with you who should be isolating and therefore we would refer you to our Covid-19 Flexibility Guarantee. If the rest of your group are able to travel though we look forward to welcoming them.
What happens if a child becomes ill during their stay?
- We will work with you and your school to meet your needs, it may be that it’s best for the child to depart but we will work with you to resolve this to the best of our ability.
Is YHA participating in the NHS Test and Trace service?
Yes we are, for school and youth groups however we are only taking the details of the leaders, should we be contacted by NHS Test and Trace we will notify your group leaders
What would happen if the hostel is required to close due to Government restrictions or NHS Test and Trace?
- We may need to close the hostel within the timeframes dictated by the Government. Any bookings for stays during this period would be cancelled. We will notify you if this affects you as soon as possible to talk through alternative options available to you.
- Please also see the local lockdown section in the All guest FAQs
Are we able to have sole occupancy at a hostel?
- We do offer sole-use of many of our hostels, particularly our smaller hostels that are more affordable on sole-use
- The cost will depend on the size of the hostel and the number of people it can accommodate – the larger the property the higher the price will be